Friday, October 12, 2012

New Maybelline Color Sensational High Shine Gloss in Captivating Coral: Review & Swatch


Although I'm slowly converting to become a lipstick lover, for many years all I wore was gloss (and there's still a soft spot in my heart for it).  I saw a display of the Color Sensational Gloss and I knew I had to try it out.  There are 14 shades available, and these glosses range in price from $5.50-$8 depending on where you buy it. There were few colors that caught my eye, but since I have a smell issue with lip products, I just got captivating coral to try it out first.

Click the link to continue with the review and see swatches.


Captivating Coral is a mostly opaque gloss with a doe foot applicator (I hate glosses with brush applicators).  It lasts for about 3.5 hours (through drinking) before reapplication is necessary.  I suspect the reason it lasts longer than a typical gloss is because it has a little thicker/tackier texture. It's not to the point where your lips are sticking together, but it is noticeable.  Tacky lip glosses don't particularly bother me, especially since they feel more moisturizing. The gloss also does have a scent that's similar to a fake orange smell.  It's not too strong and thankfully once on the lips the smell doesn't linger. (I had to stop using Maybelline Stiletto mascara because every time I blinked I would get a waft of mascara smell).  There is transfer of product onto cups/glasses when you drink, but that is the nature of gloss.  The good thing is that the transfer doesn't seem to diminish the glossiness nor color.  Lastly, don't wear this on a windy day like I did, or you'll end up with your hair stuck to your lips and gloss smeared all over your face (the tackiness does magnify the usual effect of hair attaching to gloss).



Swatches

Captivating Coral is not really anything resembling coral in color.  It's a bright orange.  To me it really doesn't lean warm or cold, so all skin tones should be able to pull it off.  It also has some shimmery fleck that's noticeable in the tube, but not on the lips.  It has your typical glossy finish and delivers a near opaque coverage.


The swatch on my lips appears a more subdued melon color, but in reality it is closer to the swatch on my arm (shown above).


Bottom Line: I enjoy the nearly opaque color of the gloss, while still being wearable.  It lasts a long time for a gloss, and it's comfortable to wear.  There are more wearable/neutral shades in the collection to satisfy all preferences.  It's worth a try to see if you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment