Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Maybelline New York Nail Polish- Review & Swatches

Downtown Brown, Twilight Rays

Maybelline came out with some new nail polishes awhile back, and until recently I've looked at the displays in passing without anything really catching my eye.  Then recently I came across a double whammy and found 2 polishes unlike the ones I already own.  I got giddy and snatched both of them up (cost is $3.99).  Fast forward a week later and today has now become a momentous occasion.  

To learn of the momentous occasion and see swatches, click the link.


I'm introducing to you my first EVER brown nail polish!  I don't know why, but browns just don't do it for me.  I have pretty much every other shade imaginable, just not brown.  Maybe subconsciously I feel browns are too mature for me, but Maybelline Downtown Brown changed my point of view (slightly).  Generally browns still freak me out.

Downtown Brown is a limited edition shade, which is a pity since it's really beautiful.  However, I'm still seeing these in stores around me so it's worth a looksie if you happen to be at the store.  It's base is a reddish brown with duochrome forest green shimmers.  I tried to photograph the shimmers, but it was being difficult.  Just take my word that it's actually really noticeable, even in low light.  It's a brown shade, that's greenish most of the time.  It's a unique color combo, and might just become my go to fall shade.



 Indoor lighting.  Again the polish was being difficult to photograph.  This is 2 coats of polish.  There's minor tip wear since I didn't take the picture for a couple days after I applied the polish




Next polish is Twilight Rays.  Another gorgeous color, and luckily part of the permanent collection.  It's a black base with olive/antique gold flakes, which really show through and gives a nice shimmer.  Although the flakes aren't holographic, in low lighting it almost appears to be.  You can see the nice flakes in the bottle shot below. Also Twilight Rays was almost opaque enough to be a one coater (if applied very heavily).    Both polishes were easy to apply and dried pretty quickly. I didn't have to wait forever for them to set.  It lasted 3-4 days, which is average length of wear time on me.


It's a little hard to see the flakes on the actual nail, but you get the idea.  This is 2 coats, indoor lighting.

Bottom Line: These two polishes are a must get.  They are both unique and will be a nice addition in anyone's collection.  If these 2 polishes are the prototype for the others in terms of pigmentation and application, I'll have to get more in the future as well.  There were few more colors that I was interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment