Saturday, November 30, 2013

November Ipsy Glam Bag: Review & Swatches


I almost didn't make this post in time before the end of the month, but the November Ipsy Glam Bag is the Glam it Up collection. This bag is a cheap looking, metallic gold snake skin clutch with a wrist strap. I would never carry this around in public, but I might give it to my 5 year old niece. But the point of this subscription is not the bag, but the contents.

To continue reading the review and see the bag contents, click the link below.


Starlooks Gem Eye Pencil in Topaz is one of the full-sized items in the bag. Odd name choice considering this is a silver metallic shade, and topaz to me is an amber shade. This is the first item from Starlooks that I've received from Ipsy that I actually like. It's a pencil, but glides easily without tugging on the eyelid. It's super metallic and works well on the lids. It might be a little too emollient, but nothing that is a deal breaker.










Nailtini polish in Champagne is a champagne gold polish that leans a little warm. There are lighter golden shimmer flakes that shine through the slightly darker champagne color. This is another full sized item. It applied well on the nails, but due to the metallic nature of the polish, the brush strokes were highly visible. The polish was easy to apply otherwise, and no complaints on quality (besides the visible brush strokes). The color isn't something I was terribly excited to get. However, it was somehow unique to my collection. Perhaps because I don't tend to gravitate towards this type of color. I think my yellow undertoned skin makes a color like this look weird on my nails.






BH Cosmetics Galaxy Chic Baked Eyeshadow in Neptune is the next goodie in the bag. This is a single baked shadow from the larger palette that's available. I do believe this is a full-sized version of this shade. All are baked eyeshadows. Neptune is a medium silver-toned blue metallic color. Even without foiling it (applying the shadow wet), it has great color payoff. I've actually been curious to try this palette, and this might just be the push I need to buy it. Also (I didn't do this post in July, but...) this baked shadow is a MUCH better quality product than the eyeshadows I've tried from BH Cosmetics in the past.




Pixi Beauty Bronzer in Subtly Suntouched is a misnomer if there ever was one. This is NOT a bronzer, and if you expected it to be, you'll be disappointed. Even though the name is Subtly Suntouched, and doesn't imply a dark shade, this is barely visible on even light skin-tones like myself. It's a light tan color with golden shimmer. It works well to warm up a blush color that's too cool, and that's what I've been using it for. It doesn't really impart much color, but it helps to add a little warm shimmer to the cheeks without being overly shiny. I don't like the product for the intended use, but I like how I'm using it. I don't know if this is a full-sized product, but if its not, it's decently sized.


Be a Bombshell Lip Crayon in Shameless is your typical jumbo pencil lip product that's all the rave. Unlike my first debacle with Be a Bombshell product, this didn't come in a thousand tiny pieces. It's a rosy-red with shimmer. It glides on nicely and imparts a nice flush of color. It's a good way to apply a darker color to the lips for those who are a little scared to go opaque. It applied smoothly, stained my lips slightly, and I didn't have a problem with the shimmers sticking around after the color left. It's not very long wearing, especially if you drink or eat. My only issue is the smell. It has a weird medicine/hospital antiseptic type of smell. It's odd, and it tends to linger a little. For that reason I wouldn't get this product in any other color. I do believe this is full-sized as well.

em Cosmetics Lash Gallery Dramatic Volume Mascara in Black is the last product of the bunch, and the biggest disappointment. I really wish I got one of the other products that were sent out from this line. For being a supposedly volumizing mascara, it did nothing. It could be a potentially "natural look" mascara to wear every day, which is fine, but not if it claims to be volumizing. Also this smudges like crazy, as well as leave chunks along the lower lid through out the day. Formula is crap. The brush itself I liked since it reminded me of the Maybelline Flasies (the original) with one side that's flat and skinny, with a slight curve. But once again, the formula isn't worth the hassle. This is a full sized product as well.


Swatches

Since there were a lot of color cosmetics, there's a lot of swatches to enjoy. First is the Starlooks Gem Eye Pencil in Topaz (on the left), and BH Cosmetics Galaxy Chic Baked Eyeshadow in Neptune (on the right). No primer underneath. The Starlooks pencil is a little on the soft side, as evidenced by the chunks.



Quick eye look with Neptune along the crease and outer "v", and Topaz along the top lashes.


Close look of the em Cosmetics Lash Gallery Dramatic Volume Mascara. As you can see, it's not that volumizing, but creates a more natural look instead. Doesn't do much for length either.


Pixi Beauty Bronzer in Subtly Suntouched. Thick swatch on the left and blended out on the right. Once it's blended out, it's barely noticeable on the hand. Just a warm shimmer. Hence the reason it works as a warming up cheek color product than a contour product.


Be a Balmshell Lip Crayon in Shameless. Hand swatch and lip swatch. A nicely rosy color, and once swatched, the shimmers become less noticeable.





Nailtini Polish in Champagne. Two coats with top coat. As you can see the brush strokes are visible. The upside is that even in low light, the shiny finish is very visible as it glows.

Shade Pic

Flash Pic
Bottom Line: This was one of the best Ipsy Glam Bags that I've received. I mean not everything was too my exact liking, but the quality and sizing were exceptional. No complaints on my end. I hope they keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment