Friday, November 29, 2013

Fitness Friday: Whole 30 Week 4 Update


Today's Fitness Friday is my week 4 round up and conclusion of my Whole30 diet. Of course as I mentioned at the beginning, I was not going to do a full 30 days in deference for my Thanksgiving pumpkin pie, but I did complete 26 days. You can revisit the progression of my Whole30 course by going here.

To continue reading my thoughts, click the link below.

My last week wasn't too different from week 3 to be quite honest. I didn't really have any "lows", and somehow I even had enough energy to bang out a boot camp/athletic step workout combo two days in a row. Finding food options were still limited, and I was often eating the same items over and over again. As a whole, I think it helps that I like varied types of food, so I can always find something to eat. I didn't feel like I was starving after the first few days, and I had plenty of energy (based on my workout/sleep schedule permitting it). Also with the combo of working out and eating healthy, I do physically look better. My Buddha belly, is a little less Buddha-ish.

Thanksgiving feast was fabulous, and I didn't have any stomach issues or bloating or anything like that (luckily). Truth be told, I didn't feel any different from any other Thanksgiving feast. Just the usual post-feast coma. Then the other shoe dropped. This morning I felt like I've been hit by a carb truck. I feel fuzzy in the head and just generally tired. No GI issues, just a hazy mushy feeling. This made me realize that I might want to generally take it easy on the carbs, and try not to indulge too heavily. After yoga and a jog, I do feel less cloudy in the head. I'm sure my ridiculous study schedule hasn't helped my cause either.

In summary:

  • I'm going to pick and choose the areas of the diet I liked. I'm keeping protein rich breakfasts, as well as decreasing the amount of unnecessary sugars.
  • I probably will go back to yogurt and cheese, but only sparingly. I'll stick to plain yogurt and add my own fruit with the occasional honey if needed.
  • I have gotten used to drinking my coffee without sugar. I'm going to stick to my cafe au lait style. One less thing to put sugar in.
  • Always try to find healthier alternatives, and ALWAYS read labels. Sugar truly is in a bunch of random things.
  • I'll probably stay away from most beans. I knew before all this that beans and I don't get along very well (even though I like the taste), so it seems silly to add it now.
  • I'm willing to repeat this in the future, and try it for the entire 30 days. I don't think it'll make a huge difference, but I like the idea of eating healthy items. Not because I think my body can't properly digest it, but it's a healthy option.

No comments:

Post a Comment