Wednesday, July 3, 2013

June Ipsy Glam Bag: Contents & Mini Review


So another month goes by, in which I didn't get this post out earlier in the month. My bad. That said, I haven't had internet access at my place for the last week (ya I know it's not a legitimate excuse if I finished the post earlier).  I still have no internet at home, but I have time to kill at Starbucks before I need to be in for the day.  Now that I got all the housekeeping items out of the way, I figure I should get to the task on hand. June's Ipsy Glam Bag theme is On the Wild Side. This is the first bag I TRULY dig. I liked the color of the May bag, but I like both the color and style of this one. The lime green zipper accent is fabulous, especially the way it's on the side (vs. the top). The material is sturdier as well, which is an added bonus.

To see what's inside the bag and some mini reviews, click the link below.

First thing first. I was rather impressed that I got all full-sized items (or at least I'm pretty sure they're all full-sized). This is the first instance that this happened for me, so the $10 price tag looked even better than it usually does.


First in the box is the J.Cat Beauty Eyelash + Eyelash Glue in EL01. I haven't had the occasion to try these bad boys out, but I'm looking forward to them.  They are thick and full lashes that are a more natural style with different length lashes that gets longer towards the ends.


Chella Ivory Lace Highlighter is a lovely find. I like concealer looking highlighter+ multitasker. I really don't know if this is safe for the water line, but I stuck it there anyway.  It brightened my eyes and staid reasonably long. It works well on the browbone, inner eye corners, cheekbones, etc. Good thing about these products is that even if it smudges, it's not a big deal since the smudging isn't obvious. This little pencil apparently even works on under eye circles and blemishes. I haven't used it for those purposes yet.



Starlooks Lip Pencil in Bare (K308) looked super brown when I first took off the lid. Luckily it's a wearable color once on.  As much as I think I should wear lip pencils more often (and I have plenty), I always have a hard time following through and actually wear them.  On most days I need something easy, that doesn't require a mirror.  This translates to clear balm or sheer gloss. Haven't actually tested for wear, but it does apply on the back of my hand smoothly.  As a side note, I would have preferred the other colors offered in the glam bag.








NYX Mosaic Powder Blush in Truth was a fun addition since I've had my eye on Mosaic Blushes, but never made the plunge to actually buy one. This particular shade is described as a dark gold with gold glitters per the NYX website. I consider it to be a bronze-y gold shimmer. Don't ask me why this falls under the blush category since gold shimmer is more of a highlighter/bronzer description rather than a cheek color.  The powder itself is nice and smooth with minimal fall out. I wear it more like a highlight or over a bright colored blush to tone down the intensity while imparting a summery glow. It's a nice product and I enjoy it, but it's not something I tend to reach for.


My initial impression when I saw the J.Cat Beauty Sparking Cream Palette was AWESOME! Who doesn't like the occasional glitter bomb? That said, this fell way short of my expectations. It was difficult to apply (it clumped up in patches, or got spread thin), and it didn't stay put (creased like crazy). The only bonus was that I got this right before my Color Run and my team mates and I were able to use it as war paint. P.S. we rocked it an had loads of fun!

Swatches

On the  left we have the Chella Ivory Lace Highlighter, with Starlooks Lip Pencil in Bare on the right. The highlighter is a nice pale ivory/cream color that leans a little on the yellow side. Unlike what it appears like in pencil form, once applied Bare becomes a more usable darker nude lip pencil.


NYX Mosaic Blush in Truth is shimmery gold as mentioned above, but a wearable form that's not overly sparkly. It gives a nice hint of color to my cheeks. If you have darker skin tones this would be a great highlight.


J.Cat Beauty Sparkling Cream Palette swatches show that it can be very patchy (I required many passes and dabbing to make it look less patchy. The only color that could work as a nice accent color (little sparkles on your outer lid corner for example) is the gold holographic one.


Bottom Line: In terms of the quality and quantity, this may have been the best bag thus far (including the actual bag). With all full-sized items for $10, I have no complaints even though I didn't enjoy everything in the bag. It's always enjoyable for me to try out new items. Let's see what next month brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment