Sunday, December 29, 2013

NYX Butter Lip Balm: Review & Swatches


The newest to the NYX family (on the heels of Butter Gloss success) are the Butter Lip Balms, the stick-form balm cousin to the shiny gloss. The shade range of these balms are less than the gloss version. There are 8 colors available currently.

To continue reading the review and see swatches, click the link below.



With the success of the Maybelline Whispers and Revlon Lip Butters, NYX is jumping on the colored balm wagon. As much as I like the concept and use colored balms, I figured I should just try the shade range I usually don't go for. Nowthat I think about it, I don't know what possessed me to do that, but oh well. That is how I ended up with Brownie and Biscotti.

These balms are in stick form and resembles a Chapstick in size and function. It just has a small cap, and isn't packaged like a lipstick. There is the same slight vanilla scent that is prevalent in the Butter Gloss form as well. This is a thicker balm that tends to coat the lips (similar to eos Balms). It's not the type of balm that tends to sink into the lips and just leaves moisture. In comparison to the Whispers, it's a thicker consistency, while closer to texture to the Revlon Lip Butters.

These are a nice product, although nothing new. I think the appeal is that it's small, portable, and easy to use. The packaging is economical so you can stow it in your pocket.

Swatches

In terms of color payoff, neither shade is that dark or obvious. I'm not too surprised by this considering the fact that I got the two lightest colors of the bunch. Hand swatches below. Biscotti on the left, and Brownie on the right.


Biscotti has the slightest of brown/nude shade that is hardly visible on the hand swatch. There is enough color that it tones down my natural lip color. It becomes a natural nude lip that looks like I put a clear balm.


Brownie is a brown-toned pink/beige that becomes a "my lips but better" shade. It gives a hint of color and enhances the pink tones of the lips. This is truly a pretty shade that would go with any look. A good option to have on hand for touch-ups throughout the day as substitute for any lip color you apply in the AM.


Bottom Line: If you have the other versions of colored balms on the market, as a whole NYX Butter Lip Balms really don't provide a new take, making it unnecessary to get as well. If you are curious to get a easy to use stick form of a colored balm that smells nice and goes with any look, I would get Brownie.

No comments:

Post a Comment