Thursday, December 26, 2013

Ipsy December Glam Bag: Review & Swatches


The December Ipsy Glam Bag is the Celebration collection. This bag was actually aesthetically pleasing. I would actually not be embarrassed carrying this around. It came with only full-sized items as far as I can tell, which is a total score since the value of the items are much greater than the monthly fee.

To continue reading the review and see the contents of the bag, click the link below.



The contents in this box are clearly meant to be used together to create a celebratory look, and this might very well be the first Ipsy Glam Bag with items that I can use together in one look (can't remember off the top of my head).

First item is another Be a Bombshell product, the One Stick in Girl Crush. This is clearly an item meant to mimic Nars The Multiple. It's a product that can be used on lips, cheeks, and maybe eyes. The concept is great, the color is pretty, the application is crap. It really doesn't show up on the skin once it's blended. It doesn't even work as a highlight, even though there is visible shimmer. Texture is nice though. If I had a different color (darker) I might like it.







Jesse's Girl Julie G Textured Nail Color in Sugar Plum Fairy is your typical textured polish. As color goes, a rich blurple with silver shimmers is a great color that I love. I'm just not into the textured polish craze. It applies well after two thin coats. It's not as roughly textured as some polishes, and it dries down matte (besides the silver glitter pieces). It's a good polish, nothing bad to say about it, just not something I would use frequently.



Pop Beauty Bright up Your Life eyeshadow trio in Smokin Hot (below) is your stereotypical smokey eye kit. It has a light silver, a mid-tone cool silver, and a matte black with blue glitter (which doesn't show up in the pan pic or swatch, but visible in the pan in person). These shadows were actually really easy to use and blend on the lids. It's not a terribly new, nor exciting take of these colors since I own many similar colors, but it is a good quality version that's not chalky. It's also a nice petite case that is easy to take with you on trips.






J. Cat Beauty Big Lip Pencil in Red Rose is another jumbo lip crayon. This is a more lipstick type product in pencil form (vs a glossy product). It does require sharpening. This isn't the first time I've gotten a J. Cat Beauty item, and luckily this is a more usable product than the last. I actually used this as my Christmas lip color. It's a semi-matte yellow-based red lip color. It's comfortable to wear on the lips without being overly drying. I put gloss on top to make it more comfortable though. It lasts decently well, longer if you don't eat anything.




Last, but not least is the Mirabella Eye Blender Brush, which is a nicely weighted brush. It was scrunched in the packaging so it looked like a fishtail. I wet the bristle to re-shape it. It's super soft and feels nice. However, it's not a good size brush for my small eyelid though. It's too big, and a little difficult to use as a crease brush. It's a nice brush though, and made with great care and quality.






Swatches

Be a Bombshell  One Stick in Girl Crush.  As you can see, the blended swatch on left is not visible even on a light skin tone as myself. The concentrated swatch on the right is not appropriate for actual wear. It is a pretty cool-toned lilac pink with silver shimmer.


J. Cat Beauty Big Lip Pencil in Red Rose hand and lip swatch. It's a good yellow-tone red.



Pop Beauty Bright up Your Life eyeshadow trio in Smokin Hot.


Bottom Line: Up to this point in time I've made my Glam Bag bottom lines to be regarding whether or not I will continue getting the subscription service. From this point on, I'll indicate which products I would spend my own money on buying. That said, the items I would buy would be the J. Cat Lip Pencil and Pop Beauty Eyeshadows if it were a different color trio.

No comments:

Post a Comment