Friday, May 17, 2013

New Revlon Lip Butters: Review & Swatches


These are 2 of the 4 new Revlon Lip Butter shades available from the summer collection. I'm being weird and reviewing some limited edition shades before ones from the permanent line, but things don't always work out the way you intend. I figure I should share my review before these are no longer available.

To continue reading the review and see swatches, click the link below.



Lip Butters have been around the block long enough to not really need any explanation, but here's my take on it nonetheless.  These type of lip products have the benefit of having a tint to it, while still having a balm-like feel. They are more moisturizing than your average gloss, stain, or lipstick. The trade-off is that the color is not opaque. Although I do find that fact to be beneficial when you don't always have access to a mirror. If you're like me and sometimes have issues "painting within the lines" so to speak, these are fabulous. Mistakes outside your lip-line aren't as obvious.

Now are these actually moisturizing like a lip balm? Not really. They are a step up from other colored lip products. I still like applying a layer of balm before applying a lip butter shade.  I tend to get really chapped lips, and the extra balm helps from the lip butter from clinging to the dry bits.  The clingy aspect of the butters are more noticeable in lighter shades than darker ones.  So keep that in mind if you only plan on continually reapplying the lip butter. I made that mistake once and was horrified when I saw my lips several hours layer. It was blotchy/patchey city. The only saving grace was that most of the people who saw the mess will never see me again.

Consistency of these are thicker like a balm is. There's not much slip to these. They aren't sticky and they glide on smoothly. You can do a single layer to impart barely there color, or you can build it up a bit to give a nice sheer wash of color. It's rather versatile that way. Lasting time is an average balm time of about 2 hours if you don't drink or eat. Obviously those activities will speed up fading time.


Swatches

Pink Lemonade is a sheer peachy nude color, not really pink. I think it leans warm. This is a barely there color, that helps to nude out my natural lip color versus imparting a huge color payoff. Sorbet is a watermelon pink that's perfect for summer. It gives a cherry popsicle type stain on the lips for an effortless pop of pink while you lounge pool side.

Pink Lemonade, Sorbet
 As you can see from the lip swatches, these are sheer in color and you can still see the freckles I have on my lips. Clearly I've burnt my lips on several occasions and I have sun damage, but we'll ignore that for now. Below is Pink Lemonade that helps tone down my natural lip color. I like the nude effect it gives my lips.


Sorbet is a more pinky-red color that does change my lip color in a more obvious way, while still being sheer.


Bottom Line: I think these kind of products are perfect. It combines a balm-like texture with some added color.  It's the best of both worlds. I think these colors are great addition to the permanent line that they have, and worth the look if you're interested.  If these colors don't appeal to you, some from the regular line might.

No comments:

Post a Comment