Sunday, May 26, 2013

SquareHue May Box: Review & Swatches



I apologize for the late review of my May SquareHue box. I blame it on my horrible schedule this month.  As in it's messing my circadian rhythm up so much that I'm forgetting important things that I used to have no problems doing daily.  Now that I've had my rant, this month's theme is the Madonna Collection. It's filled with varying shades of pink.


To continue the review and see swatches, click the link below.



The colors found in this collection are Happy Creme, Day Glow, and Mother's Pearl.  This is the first month that I know of that has concentrated around one color family. I do enjoy the new take, but I don't think I would appreciate the service as much if it was always like this. Pinks seem like an appropriate choice for May, especially since it involves Mother's Day. Nice and girly.

Also as a heads up, the packaging has changed slightly. Not that it really matters much, but it's a nicer package (see pic below).  I didn't have any issues with polishes breaking in the older packaging, but this new one with individual slots seem to be sturdier. If you're wondering, the older packing looked like this.



First in the box is Happy Creme, a nice pale creamy pink. Generally love this kind of color, but it's a love/hate type of thing.  The main issue is that application is hit or miss on light creamy colors. I'm happy to report that after 2 coats, this applied evenly.  A great staple in all nail polish stashes.









Day Glow is rather perfect name for this bright blue-based bright raspberry color. The interesting thing about this polish that isn't super obvious on first look is that it has a vinyl/plastic looking finish to it. It was rather a nice surprise.  The downside is that it was a little harder to apply smoothly.  If you don't paint evenly, you can have patches of darker areas after 2 coats.  I think a third coat would solve any unevenness. It was also slower drying than the other colors.





Madonna's Pearl is a frosty mid-toned pink. I don't know how I feel about this one. It's a little retro for me, but has good lasting power. It also shows the brush strokes if you don't have any top coat on it.  I'm still debating on if I want to keep this or give it away.






Swatches

The following swatches are two coats, without any top coat (I know a change of pace for me). I figured to properly show case some of the finishes, I needed to have swatches in the raw, so to speak. Also ignore my nasty cuticles.  I've been washing/hand sanitizing much more recently than I have been in the past.

Sunlight Pic: Happy Creme, Day Glow, Mother's Pearl

Flash Pic: Happy Creme, Day Glow, Mother's Pearl
Bottom Line: I'm still digging this subscription service. It's worth the price of admission. Keep up the excellent work SquareHue!

No comments:

Post a Comment