Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Sally Hansen Mermaid's Tale: Review & Swatches


I know I was in the mood for spring only a little while ago, but I'm moving full force into summer now. Things have warmed up a bit, and all the pretty flowering trees have lost it's flowers. For my new pick me up, I need a flashy new nail polish. In comes the Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure in Mermaid's Tale, a dupe for Deborah Lippmann's Across the Universe. Although I've mentioned my thoughts on cheaper dupes in a past post, I reiterate that generally I'm for them, especially if it comes at a cheaper price.  I've been wanting a polish that looks like this, but haven't been willing to shell out the big bucks for the original. Now I'm glad I waited since this one is half the price.

To continue reading the review and see the swatches, click the link below.



Mermaid's Tale is part of the limited edition Under the Sea collection. As seen in the above picture, Sally Hansen has quite a few limited edition items coming out for the summer season (this display was at my local CVS). This polish is a dark navy jelly base with smaller blue glitter, and larger green and blue hexagon glitter.  The glitter count is VERY high in this polish and absolutely fabulous. The name is perfect because once on the nail it looks like what you imagine a mermaid tail to look like. Enjoy the lovely macro shot below.


Just keep in mind that as a polish with lots and lots of glitter, it is a PAIN to get off!  As in foil method twice to get it off.  It sucks, but it was worth it.  Lasting power on this was good too, about 4-5 days on me with minor tip wear, which is higher than most polishes for me. I'm horrible to my nails/hands.

Swatches

Below are two coats of Mermaid's Tale with a clear top coat. As you can see, two coats isn't quite enough to make it opaque, but I quite like the effect.  I'm afraid that adding another coat would muddy the waters, so to speak (ya I know, bad pun).

Sunlight Pic

Flash Pic

Bottom Line: Definitely get this! Even if you didn't have a lemming for Debora Lippmann's Across the Universe, this is a fabulous summer color. Get it before there's none left since it is limited edition.

2 comments:

  1. Soooooo glad I got mine! Thanks for the swatch! I have these mine yet! I think I might try putting a base color first, maybe one from the same "sea" collection... That way in maybe just one coat it'd be better as a top coater..... Thanks again! So glad I've found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a good idea. I'd be interested to see how that works out. Glad you enjoy my blog!

      Delete